Poll: Why are you looking for reservation software?

Thread: Howdy, what brings you here?

Question Howdy, what brings you here?

As a matter of curiosity, we like to know why people are browsing our site. Assuming you're looking for reservation software, is it because you're still using paper and need to get up to date? Are you using another system but want something better? Or did you just get into the business and need to start tracking your customers?

You need to register in order to reply to this post (it's free & easy), but if you're just passing through then feel free to vote in the poll above anyway.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

Default Campground Master

To anyone that manages reservations,

We atarted out using MS Excel to track our reservations. It worked fine and handled our "basic" needs. We then used a program called Guest Tracker, It was very simple to use and even our novice help could use it without any issues. The company sold out and the program was dropped by the new company. (They were pushing their program) We tried the new software and was VERY DISAPPOINTED. We purchased it "off-season" so we could do the massive setting up. It took over 40 hours to enter all our basic data and get the program set. after working with the program, entering some demo reservations, we found it very difficult to navigate, the grid was small and you had to use the scroll bar (very small) to the vertical and horizonal scrolls... What a pain.

We found Campground Master, downloaded the demo, spent about 12 hours setting up our campsites, rates and campmap image. We were very please with the simplicity of the program. The latter changes allowing us to customize some of the screens and data have been very helpful.

Though we have not quite mastered the search features for the data we added (much was just additional customer information) we are able to export the data to a CSV file and open it in MS Excel, We create our seasonal leases in MS Word and use the Excel file as a database for insert fields. This process takes a little time (and merging knowledge) but is far faster than typing each lease individually.

I strongly reccomend that any business that manages campsites, rooms, cabins, marina slips to try the program. There have been a few issues through the various versions but all I can say is "The support has been SUPERB ! ! !"

Happy Camping!

Smile Answer

Your poll does not have the option of "Currently using CM and just joined the forum" I think that would be a lot more useful than just clicking other.

Actually this poll was intended for people that are not customers yet (the title is "why are you looking for reservation software"). Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I should at least make that an option, though.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

Default Voting

Actually I got to this poll from the Thread on Voting where you listed all the polls. On that one it says:

"Why are you shopping for reservation software, or if you're already using Campground Master, why did you look for software at the time?"

That then directs you to this thread and poll.

If you get here from Just Browsing, then it says if you are new to CM. Perhaps some like me, will just be running down all the threads to see what all is on the forum and get a tad confused. (But, then that is my normal state...so nothing new there!!)

My path to your company is a bit different. My wife and I are considering working as camp hosts and more than one listing I have seen indicated that familiarity with Campground Master was a plus. Thanks to google, I can now become familiar with your product. We are Macintosh based and I have not yet found a listing of specs needed to run Campground Master. I do have a windows emulator so can at least gain some exposure that way. I have worked with and designed hotel/motel systems many years ago so am looking forward to learning your system.

If you have a Windows emulator (e.g. Parallels or VMWare), then it should work on the Mac. As far as specs, the same basics apply (memory, screen size, etc.).
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

Default Campground Master

I am hoping to start Workkamping. A lot of the jobs posted would like some expierence with reservation software. One job that I looked at uses Campground Master. So I decided to download it and get familiar with the program. Hopefully this will help me get a workkamper job in the future.

Thumbs up Why am I here?

Well, as others have mentioned, many camps are using Campground Master (CM) and require or prefer workampers to have experience with CM. I have used several other campground programs but not CM so the free demo will give me the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the application. I truly appreciate Cottonwood Software offering a demo so we, as workampers, can gain exposure and thereby, hopefully, open doors to additional opportunities. Can't wait to get started. I also appreciate the fact the demo was available on the home page without having to drill down through layers to find it.