PDA

View Full Version : Performance/ maintenance

SgtDupuis
09-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey Folks,
I'm a new user to the Campground Master application, actually more of a tech support guy for the network/security/computer area. The campground I'm working for has a pc running as master in the IT Office and three workstations out at the service windows. It also has a POS pc in the store. The general complaint from the customer service associates is that when one person is inputting data everyone else gets an hour glass and has to wait for the database update to finish before finishing there transaction. Each machine has a 1G proc with 512ram running WinXP and are connected via a 100mb switch. I'm not sure of the size of the database but I know it has never been pruned or anything and they have been running the application for 3yrs. The question I guess is are there certain maintenance functions that should be performed for optimal performance in the application, and should the pc's be upgraded. My first thought was to upgrade memory because the base OS (XP) uses the majority of the 512 in there now, but I'm not convinced that will completely solve the issue. I'm thinking that there should be some steps taken to manage the database, I'm just wondering what the recommendations around that would be. I should also state there are around 500 sites managed in the application plus all sales in the store. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Bob

sspielbusch
09-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi Bob,

RAM can certainly be an issue (check to see how much it's using in the Task manager). Each computer loads the full DB into RAM for purposes of speed. Making a change on one computer will cause all computers to update, and if you're low enough on RAM to cause swapping to disk this could cause a major delay. The fact that you're seeing an hourglass on all computers tends to point to low RAM as the issue.

To remedy this, the best (and possibly the only) solution is to increase RAM. While using the Purge function can reduce the RAM needed, if you're already topping out then the Purge would probably not have enough RAM to function either. So increase RAM first, then assuming that fixes it then you might consider doing a regular purge of the oldest data, e.g. every few months.

There are some other possibilities if RAM doesn't seem to be the issue...

POS transactions -- older versions can have delays updating over the network when POS transactions are done (if the delay only happens after POS sales, this could be a clue). I don't recognize your information so I can't determine what version you're using, but upgrading to 4.3.5 may solve that. If that's not an option and you're using at least version 4.2.2, you can also tweak this yourself (this tweak can also reduce RAM usage by a significant amount after a program restart) -- see here for the tweak:
http://campgroundmaster.com/news/networkoptimizationforbusy.html

Finally, here are a couple general articles on network optimization:
http://campgroundmaster.com/news/solvingnetworksynchronizatio.html
http://campgroundmaster.com/news/networkingoptimizationtips.html

Hope that helps, let us know!

Stan