Thread: Customer Birthday tracking

Default Customer Birthday tracking

It would be great to capture the customer's Birthdate so we could email or mail them an email or postcard by running a simple query.

Promotions could be sent out prior to a customer's birthday informing them of a special rate or event. I think this would be a great marketing tool.

~ Happy Camper

Thanks, HappyCamper...

Not a bad idea, but it does lead to some complexities -- "customers" involve 2 or more people in most cases, so you would need to have places for names & birthdays for each. Then the query would need to be able to handle this too (it's not possible now to have more than one line per record in query results, so it would probably involve special scripting). Then of course the birthday needs to be entered without the year (presumably not many people want to tell you their age), so it's a special kind of field that doesn't really exist yet.

So yes it's worth considering, but just so you know, it's not a simple job of just adding a field.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

Thanks for the speedy reply! I love this forum. Soon we will able to search both the newsletters and the forums!

Keep up the Great Work
    ~Happy Camper

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    It would be great to capture the customer's Birthdate so we could email or mail them an email or postcard by running a simple query.

Promotions could be sent out prior to a customer's birthday informing them of a special rate or event. I think this would be a great marketing tool.

~ Happy Camper
    It is a great idea nice personal contact and as you stated a great marketing tool

Default Birthdays and Multiple Campers

We have a resort where we have a special discount that we call Non-Seniors. To accomodate this I have incorperated a DOB field. This gives the ability to report / query on a persons DOB. So we would have a Customer file for EACH customer. However, it does mean either adding an extra field to indicate the master customer for billing OR some method of linking customers that are not "Site" specific, it would be similar to linking Day Use customers. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any method to link or synchronize customer, except by site.

If you could link or synchronized customers you could enter the address and other contact information for the 'master' customer and then put less detail in linked customers.

It also would work good for conventions or activities that use "cashless" purchases using arm bands or similar.

It is an issue I am trying to address for next summer.

There have in fact been a number of requests for allowing multiple "customers" on a reservation, e.g. gathering details of each person whether it's just the names or also things like birthdays, ages (for liquor sales), vehicle info, etc. We've been hesitant on this due to the implications of database size, data entry complexity and the variety of options needed to govern how people would want to use it, but it's getting to the point that it's probably worthwhile and will be added in the next year or so.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]