Thread: Campground master slow.

Default Campground master slow.

I have a client who uses your program on a network but she has noticed that it is real slow. The computer that it is on has 2GB of RAM 160GB Hard drive and running a dual core AMD processor. It also has xp home on it. I have done all the basic things to try to improve performance (disk cleanup and disk defrag) but it still seems to be slow.

I thought that it might have something to do with the network but if only the master computer is running and no others are connecting to it still is slow.

I have also tried to run some of the database maintenece in campground master to try and see if it is having a problem with finding some of the files but that doesn't help.

Is there anything else that I can do or am I stuck with the slow performance.

Thanks,
    uByte

Can you be more specific about what's slow? For instance, is it slow updating the screen (and is it just the Rack or also other views like Arrivals), or slow responding to input, or just slow starting up, etc. Is any message shown in the status bar at the bottom when it's "waiting"? If it's slow when no others are connected, then it's not likely a network issue. However that assumes that you're *not* accessing the database itself through the network -- the database should be on the C: drive, preferably under Shared Documents\Campground Master\, on each computer (or for older versions, in C:\Program Files\Campground Master\). If it's anywhere else, then it's an unsupported location and functionality will be compromised. To find the location, go to Maintenance / Program Options / Database.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

For instance, is it slow updating the screen (and is it just the Rack or also other views like Arrivals), or slow responding to input, or just slow starting up, etc. Is any message shown in the status bar at the bottom when it's "waiting"?
    I don't deal with this software everyday but, I know for a fact that it is slow when it is finishing a transaction (weather it is cash or credit). I have noticed that when it is refreshing all the arrivals it tends to be slow updating that was well. As far as the "waiting" message at the bottom I have seen that numerous times.

I am pretty sure that it is located in the "C:\Shared Documents\Campground Master\". But if it isn't would that slow it down some?

I hope I was able to answer your questions. I should try to get right in front of the computer to really answer these but what I was really trying to do is come back with a handful of things that might fix the problem.

Thanks,
    uByte

Yes we'll definitely need more details to track down the issue. If you see a message at the bottom, we need to know what message you're seeing (there are several different messages that tell exactly what it's doing).

if it's saving the database on a network drive (e.g. other than C: ), that would definitely slow it down like you're seeing. So that's the first thing to check. If you have more details on messages and exactly when the slowness occurs, please contact us.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

I know that the file is on the computer and not on a network drive. I will repost when I am standing in front of the computer to tell you exactly when it is slow.

Thanks for the prompt postings,
    uByte

Default Standing in front of a terminal

I am standing in front of one of the terminals right now and here are some of the problems that I am having. When launching the program after a reboot it takes almost 5 minutes from the point in which I open the program on a client computer for it to come up and say that it is trying to connect to the server. When I do get that message it seems like it hangs on "Syncronizing to server." I was able to just close the window and it seems to login.

Also I have noticed that the rack list is extremly slow at refreshing all the entries on the main computer and the client. I just alt tab out of the program to post and now its not responding.

Any clue?
    uByte

Can you see a message in the bottom status bar when it's starting up or not responding? That helps a lot with troubleshooting.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

Default Getting this message now.

I keep getting this message now. Which I have tried again, closed program and rebooted computer?
    error.JPG

uByte

Please E-mail us, we may have a solution for you.
    http://campgroundmaster.com/contact.html
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]