Thread: Who does web sites?

Default Who does web sites?

We've seen a huge variety of web site designs among campgrounds and other businesses. Some are very neat, some very fancy, and some need a lot of work. We're sometimes asked about doing web sites, and while we don't do this kind of work ourselves it would be nice to get some input from our users, so we can offer some recommendations when people inquire.

If you're happy with your web site and the people who did it are available for others, let us know here! (A link to your site would be helpful so people can see it, but that can be handled in private messages if you prefer not to have it public.) You can even have them post an ad in our Classifieds section if they like.

Any comments about web site design issues in general are also welcome (what's useful, what's annoying, etc.).

In case you're wondering about the Campground Master web site -- well, I know it's not fancy, but we do it ourselves (except for these forums of course, which is a purchased package). We're going for functional, and we're not trying to look like a huge company with a large web design budget. Other sites may be fancier and have a better spit & polish, but they also take longer to load (a lot of our users are on dial-up), and don't provide as much information. It's the same concept as our software -- comprehensive yet simple, fast, and efficient.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

Default web site design

I used to do my own website, but now use the website package provided by friend communications. It isn't as flexible as doing it myself, but it is very easy to keep updated and is "relatively" attractive. If anyone would like to look at my site it is www.riverbendrv.com. I would appreciate any feedback on its looks and userfriendlieness (is that even a word??)
    Cheryl

Default Websites

I write websites, I did the one for Cajun Palms RV Resort and a new one for Poches Fish N Camp should be online in the next month or so. The Poches one was done about 6 years ago, the new one will include Virtual Tours as well.
    The one I did for Crawfish Town USA has virtual tours and lots of videos, all of which I produce with my own equipment.
    Last edited by LakeCityWebs; 06-29-2008 at 09:47 PM.
    Ron
    Owner of LakeCityWebs

Default Web Sites

We do our own. We went to www.networksolutions.com and set our up. It was easy and only took us a few days. We make changes to it all the time and we don’t have to wait until some web master takes the time to up date our site.

Jimmy Felton
    Misty River Cabins & RV Resort.

Default reciprocal campground links

If anyone wants to swap web links, I would be happy to add them to our web site under “Other Campgrounds”.
    The more reciprocal links you have that points to your web site, the better the search engines will like your web site.

Jimmy
    Jimmy Felton
    Misty River Cabins & RV Resort
    www.MistyRiverRV.com

Default We do Our Own

We purchased our campground in March of 1997, I had my first pages up at 12:01AM. The site has evolved quite a bit, starting from a page that could be printed on a half sheet of paper to the current web site that would need 2 reams of paper to print.

I have been using a program called FrontPage. It was a little difficult at first (What isn't) but have come to enjoy working on my pages "Live" on the web. No need to create the page on your computer and upload the changes. I make the changes directly to the server, save and the updates are immediate.

I have also created a few pages for other campgrounds, but only for members of the Indiana Campground Owners Association. The association invoices them annually and I maintain the sites and make changes as requested.

There are many web design programs available and each will take some time to learn, I for one cannot afford to pay someone to create and maintain our site and cannot understand how some people will wait days or even weeks to get changes made through an outside source.

Costs are the incentive for us. We have our domain name and server space which runs about $175.00 annually. We have virtually more server space than we'd ever use. (Right now I have over 1000 pages on our server)

It may not be the best, most interactive web site out there, but it certainly has all the information on our facilities and area attractions.

www.wltc.org

Default DIY Website

FrontPage is a decent program, I still use it myself from time to time, but like Wolfes I'm an advanced user. Front Page's Server Extensions have some vulnerabilities, Microsoft and some ISP's/Hosts are not supporting it anymore. Microsoft has replaced the product with Expressions Web which doesn't use the Front Page Server Extensions. If theres anyone out there using FP and the FPSE forms I strongly suggest you find a new solution for those elements of the site.

Also might I suggest that working on your site "Live" is dangerous for all but advanced FP users, especially if your using the FPSE shared borders and the navigation structure. I can't tell ya how many times I have blown out the FPSE's while updating sites, which will prove nearly impossible to fix properly if you don't have a local copy of the entire site on your hard drive to re-publish. Working "Live" on the site doesn't provide you a local copy if anything bad happens. If your not publishing back down from your website to your local pc after making live changes you could get yourself in a real bind.

Do It Yourself websites involve a learning curve and more often than not don't end up being award winning sites, theres really allot to this whole process. Knowing how to use image editing software to make unique, good looking custom graphics is a plus; knowledge of search engine techniques will need to be acquired; custom coding knowledge is need to integrate, for example, CampgroundMasters "In House" Reservations system.

For those who have the time and desire to Do It Yourself the whole process can be rewarding, for those that don't there are web designers out there that can get the job done in a timely manner. If your looking to hire a professional to create your site try to find an independent designer that makes unique sites as opposed to hiring a large firm that creates cookie cutter sites.

Ron
    Ron
    Owner of LakeCityWebs

I'm the in-house "computer guy" and have been with the company since '93. Back in the late 90's when the internet started to take off, I decided to get on board and teach myself how to make a website for our company. I too started with FrontPage, but after a couple of years, I realized that FrontPage wasn't as robust as some of the other packages out there and couldn't do a lot of what I needed for our site.

Long story short, I'm now using Dreamweaver, which in my opinion is the best way to go even for do-it-yourselfers. Yes, there is a learning curve. How steep the learning curve may depend on your level of computer skills. But there are a ton of tutorial websites out there that will teach you from start to finish and start you with baby steps if you're a complete novice. http://www.lynda.com is one of my favorites.

Besides just being a great program, Dreamweaver is my choice because it integrates well into other programs that I need for website design like Photoshop and Illustrator (they are made by the same company now after Adobe merged with Macromedia a few years ago)

Anyway, I know that creating a website is daunting for small businesses, especially if there is nobody on staff with any background with site building, but I can't see how any business can get by these days without a website. Without a doubt a majority if not most of our customers come to us through the web.

If anybody needs any help or advice on building a site or need help trying to find someone to help them build one, just drop me a line at jim@statedock dot com.

Here's our websites that I put together for our company if anyone wants to take a look...

http://www.statedock.com
    http://www.lakecumberlandpokerrun.net
    http://www.eliteboatsales.net
    http://www.cruiserboatsales.com