Thread: Credit Card processing in CM

Default cc's via email

How exactly does the cc processing work through CM. I have my own cc processor separate from the software. I imagine it is essier to be integrated, but is it more expensive? Any feedback appreciated.
    Last edited by sspielbusch; 07-06-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Trimmed for relevance to new thread
    Cheryl

Default cc processing

A lot of the details are covered on this web page:
    http://campgroundmaster.com/creditcards.html

Basically there's a program that goes between CM and your credit card company. That handles the details of the transaction, replacing what your terminal does, and can either use a phone line like your terminal or a high-speed internet connection (much faster than a phone line).

As far as expense, there are some up-front costs to get a swipe and receipt printer that connect to the computer, and possibly the cc processing software (there's a free option if you can change merchants). But the cost for the actual processing is the same (or may be different, possibly lower, if you change to the X-charge merchant processing).

There are a number of benefits, like minimizing mistakes such as entering the wrong amount, but also some drawbacks (e.g. if the computer crashes, you can't process cards until it's fixed). Currently about 20% of CM users do the cc processing through CM. I think their experience is mostly positive, but maybe they'll jump in here with details.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

Default cc processing in CM

thanks for the info Stan. I am currently researching changing my processing provider. I will look into this option before making a decision.
    Cheryl