Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about the technologically UNsaavy?

Default What about the technologically UNsaavy?

I have been perusing this website (and many others related to RV park anything) for months. I get close to purchasing the software, mainly because of what seems to be amazing customer service. This is paramount as I'm finding since buying this park, that this is hard to find in any of the trades that service us. So what's stopping me?

Two things. First: I am a brand new owner. My husband and I bought the park four months ago and we're in Canada which means that up to this point, we have just about zero experience. We received approximately 60 minutes of training which barely was enough to decipher the Excel spreadsheet which currently is our "reservation system". Second: No IT skills. I read the forums and I am stunned by the amount of IT and programming knowledge that other owners have. I have reservations that I am out of my league here and might be better off with my cashbox screwed to the shelf and evil Excel spreadsheet. At least until I know what I'm talking about? Thoughts?

Take the plunge and buy the software. It will greatly simplify the day-to-day business of managing reservations. As long as you have access to someone (customer support, contractor, family member, friend, etc...) to help set it up, it will require very little effort in terms of upkeep.

I set up the system for our campground 3 years ago and it was fairly straightforward, but I would consider myself fairly tech savvy so that doesn't answer your questions. However the day-to-day users of the software are very un-savvy whens it comes to technology but they get along very well. I should also mention as well that we switched from a paper reservation filing system so it was quite a leap. I rarely need to answer questions that they have about the software and the training time was minimal to get started.

As you mentioned, the customer support with Campground Master is awesome and was also a big factor in us deciding to purchase the software.
    ---
    Ryan Murphy
    Murphy's Camping on the Ocean
    www.murphyscamping.ca

Thanks! Wondering too, did you just get the basic software or did you add any of additional options? If so, would you recommend them?

And... Any other sage advice for a newbie?

Cheers from Alberta

We just purchased the basic software. We are now considering whether or not to purchase the machines required for credit card processing and associated cash drawer. I haven't yet looked into whether the software can handle the VISA chip cards that we now have in Canada, but that will be my starting point.

Perhaps someone else can speak to their experience with the credit card processing equipment functioning in Canada?
    ---
    Ryan Murphy
    Murphy's Camping on the Ocean
    www.murphyscamping.ca

Smile

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you purchase this software package. I am constantly amazed at all the things it will do, even though we are certainly not using it to its fullest potential. Which is probably exactly what you need; you don't have to use all of the bells and whistles in order to run your park efficiently. And I can't say enough about the support you will receive - that is more than worth the purchase price!
    One option I would strongly suggest purchasing is the yearly update. Good luck, and come back and let us know how it's going.

Default Tech Dinosaur

Hi Wagons West. We bought our RV Park 12 years ago, and were faced with a similar situation. Paper reservation system. eep! It worked ok, but I really wanted to computerize the operation. I had some computer experience, but NO programming experience. I was scared, but after the initial setup this system has been awesome. My 12yo helped me do the initial setup. The few stumbling blocks I have had over the years have been handled with a simple phone call or quick email.
    If you haven't already, take the plunge you will be glad you did.
    Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by Wagons West View Post
    I have been perusing this website (and many others related to RV park anything) for months. I get close to purchasing the software, mainly because of what seems to be amazing customer service. This is paramount as I'm finding since buying this park, that this is hard to find in any of the trades that service us. So what's stopping me?

Two things. First: I am a brand new owner. My husband and I bought the park four months ago and we're in Canada which means that up to this point, we have just about zero experience. We received approximately 60 minutes of training which barely was enough to decipher the Excel spreadsheet which currently is our "reservation system". Second: No IT skills. I read the forums and I am stunned by the amount of IT and programming knowledge that other owners have. I have reservations that I am out of my league here and might be better off with my cashbox screwed to the shelf and evil Excel spreadsheet. At least until I know what I'm talking about? Thoughts?
    I am also brand new to CGM from ROS2006 from up in Alberta. How did u make out with the switch over. Are you happy u did

I have been using this software for about 10 years now.. I am STILL learning what this software can do and I'm sure I'm not even using it to its full potential. The customer service you receive with this software is outstanding! If you have any questions at all your email is answered within an hour usually.. I hope you have decided to use this software.. it won't disappoint and it is HUNDREDS times better than any software for campground reservations on the market, that I have researched. Go for it!

Default POS

Recently bought POS for campground master along with a touch screen, I have no idea what to do next or where to begin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You E-mailed us asking about help with setup, and I replied asking what you're needing help with. I didn't get any response. I'm not sure where you're needing help -- have you set up ANYTHING in the program yet? Are you only asking about the POS (inventory data) or the program in general? Have you read the applicable documentation? We can't help if we don't know exactly what you need help with.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]