Thread: URL vs IP

Default URL vs IP

We had used a URL to point remote computers to the Server. In the 9.2 update it requires the use of an IP Address. I understand the simplicity of just using IP but we have users that access off the local network and on the network of the Server. This allowed me to point to the server with internal & external DNS. Hopefully that will be available again.

Kurt Tuckey
    Brown City Camp

We have never "supported" anything other than an IP address, or at least have never known it to work any other way. The 9.2 version added validation for an IP address to avoid mistakes.

Can you give an example of what you were using before, and more details about how you set up your network for that to work? We have never attempted to use a DNS instead of a static internet IP.
    Stan Spielbusch
    [Forum Administrator]

Yes, Prior to 9.2 ... well due to my own delinquency some time in 9.? with the addition of the validation to Server IP.
    We used to just put a URL into the box "cgm.xyz.org". We then used a DNS forward to point external traffic to the server and then a NAT rule to pass it based on PORT to the correct internal IP.
    Then we used an internal DNS to do the redirect back to an internal IP.

Worked great. If for any reason we needed to move the server to another PC or change the IP, we could just change the DNS records (internal & external). I would not need to touch the connecting computers. We have people connecting across the state.

Kurt